According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), your access to vocational rehabilitation and educational opportunities is guaranteed. So, in addition to federal school funding programs which most everyone can apply for, you may be able to obtain additional resources or college financial aid to assist with your educational needs.
Get the tips you need to succeed

We know you’re busy, so we're here to take the guesswork out of financial aid, college applications, and how to survive college life. And best of all, it’s free!

Get exclusive test prep info now!

Since score matters, sign up and get our proven test prep tips & 40% off our test prep books. And best of all, it's free!

Petersons Free PSAT Sample Test
Free Sample PSAT® Test Questions & Answers

The PSAT® test is right around the corner. Our FREE sample questions give you a peek into the type of questions you can expect to see on the test.

Get Started

The spirit of ADA laws is to ensure that you are not only protected from discrimination in the workplace, but also that you have access to resources which will assist you in finding and keeping gainful employment through training and education. Depending on what resources are available in your state, this may even include tuition assistance for college or vocational school.

College financial aid programs vary

The types of programs available vary from state to state, but the primary source of funding comes largely from the Department of Education's Rehabilitation Services Administration, through grants provided to individual states. The vocational rehabilitation agencies of each state receive matching federal funds to assist people with disabilities whose impairments create barriers to employment. In many states, these services include evaluations, vocational training, special devices required for employment, job placement, and follow-up services.

However, in some states, funding may provide additional services or cover any unique needs you have. Many states offer scholarships, grants, loans, and work programs for disabled students, in addition to training and rehabilitation services. If you're eligible, you may be able to obtain aid for tuition, fees, books, and supplies, or even maintenance and transportation funding as part of your financial aid package.

Begin your search ASAP
It's important to begin making inquiries as early as possible because it will greatly increase your chances of receiving any available aid. (State and federal monies for the disabled are in high demand, but are often limited and subject to budgetary cuts from year to year.) Make sure you meet state requirements and coordinate with your financial aid counselor so you don't duplicate any benefits you get.

Also, read the fine print attached to your financial aid award letter since some aid requires you to remain at an in-state school. However, if you need specific training or education that is only available out-of-state, it's possible that exceptions could be made.

Again, the earlier you get started, the better!

How to get started
Contact your state agency as well as the financial aid office at the school you hope to attend to find out more about what programs or resources are available to you. You may also obtain further information regarding aid and access for the disabled from the HEATH Resource Center. HEATH's contact information is:

2134 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C.  20052-0001

(202) 973-0904 or (800) 544-3284 (toll-free)

Peterson's is YOUR guide to college information
Get exclusive information on schools, scholarships, and test prep

Log in to Peterson's

Forgot your password?

To reset your password, simply enter your email address in the field below and click the Reset Password button. You will receive an email with a link and instructions to reset your password.

Check your email

Please check your email and click on the link provided in the message to reset your password.


I certify that I am the subscriber to the provided cellular or other wireless number and I authorize {{SchoolName}} and its representatives and agents to contact me regarding educational opportunities at any current and future numbers that I provide for my cellular telephone or other wireless device using automatic dialing systems, artificial or prerecorded messages, and/or SMS text messages, even if I will be charged by my service provider(s) for receiving such communications. Consent is not a condition for receiving more information from {{SchoolName}}, and I understand that if I no longer wish to receive communications, I will need to contact {{SchoolName}} to alter this consent.

Disagree Agree
Petersons Monthly Scholarship

Peterson’s November $1,000 Scholarship

Turn the colors of the leaves back to green with our $1,000 scholarship