Winthrop University is a public, comprehensive university that is committed to being among the best institutions of its kind in the nation. When students consider Winthrop, they will find rigorous curriculum and experienced faculty that are dedicated wholly to values of service, excellence, diversity and to creating a strong community for students.
Through an educational experience that blends professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement, Winthrop helps students develop the knowledge, skills, and values that will enrich their lives forever and prepare them for what the future holds.
- Regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's and specialist degrees
- Founded in 1886
- Offers both campus-based & online programs.
- Beautiful campus near Charlotte in Rock Hill, South Carolina, with neo-Georgian architecture listed in "National Register of Historic Places"
- Community-focused and highly rated for its contributions to the public good
Rankings and Recognition
- Ranked 8th among Southern public universities and 19th best college for veterans by "U.S. News & World Report"
- Ranked 74th out of 673 institutions for its contribution to the public good by "Washington Monthly"
- Ranked among the "Best in the Southeast" by The Princeton Review
- Graduate Enrollment: 1,018 (based on fall 2016 data)
- Undergraduate Enrollment: 5,091
- Male/Female Ratio: 30%/ 70%
- Diversity: 37.5% U.S. minorities
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 14 to 1
Winthrop University is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's, and specialist degrees. In addition, many individual programs at Winthrop hold specialty approval from industry accreditors.
Graduate students may be eligible for federal loans. To apply, students must submit a FAFSA using Winthrop's school code of 003456.
Winthrop University provides personalized and challenging undergraduate, graduate, and continuing professional education programs of national caliber within a context dedicated to public service to the nation and to the State of South Carolina. Winthrop's longtime commitment to be among the very best institutions of its kind in the nation continually guides the mission of the university.
Building on its 19th-century origins as a distinctive women's college, the Winthrop University of the 21st century is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive, co-educational, public, residential comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for Winthrop's continuing development and shape Winthrop's continuing success.
Winthrop enrolls an achievement-oriented, culturally diverse, and socially responsible student body, recruiting students whose presence adds diversity and enrichment. Winthrop prides itself on being an institution of choice for groups traditionally under-represented on many college campuses.
Degree & Certificate Programs
Location & Contact
Director of Online Admissions