- Your step-by-step guide to mastering the exam. Peterson’s in-depth winning strategies + your work ethic = wild success!
- 3 practice tests, including detailed explanations for the answers to every question.
- Reviews of instrument comprehension, mechanical comprehension, spatial apperception, and much more, with in-depth descriptions of each question type.
- The most up-to-date information on the AFOQT, ASTB-E, and SIFT.
- Detailed data on career opportunities as a military pilot, flight officer, combat systems officer, helicopter pilot, and more.
- Best for: U.S. military flight training program candidates wanting help with both exam strategy and instructional problem solving. Provides ample opportunity for practice.
What are the Military Flight Aptitude Tests?
The Military Flight Aptitude Tests assess a U.S. military flight training program candidate’s skills and ability needed to enter a certain branch. Knowledge of instrument comprehension, mechanical comprehension, spatial apperception, and other related topics is tested.
What’s on the Military Flight Aptitude Tests?
The AFOQT contains 12 sections of multiple choice questions. Sections are: verbal analogies, arithmetic reasoning, word knowledge, math knowledge, instrument comprehension, block counting, table reading, aviation information, general science, rotated blocks, hidden figures, and self-description inventory. The ASTB-E assesses relevant personal characteristics as well as mathematical, machinery, aviation, and nautical aptitude. Finally, the SIFT is similar to the ASTB-E as it measures aviation knowledge, spacial awareness, mathematical and mechanical concepts, and cognitive ability.
How are the Military Flight Aptitude Tests scored?
The Military Flight Aptitude Tests are scored using composite scores. Your subtest or section scores are compiled and reported back to you as percentiles in comparison to other test takers. Many positions have official score requirements for specific test sections. Check your desired position for your minimum required composite score.
Should I prep for the Military Flight Aptitude Tests? And how much?
The Military Flight Aptitude Tests are extensive and can determine your position in the military–for better or worse. It is important to be familiar with the content in order to prepare yourself for these exams. While everyone is different, Peterson’s recommends at least 6 weeks of preparation for test day.
How do I register for the Military Flight Aptitude Tests?
If you are enrolled in an air force program, you will be required to take the test. If you are not, go to the Air Force website to locate a recruiter in your area, who will guide you through the process.
Peterson's - Improving Scores Since 1966
Why Peterson’s? Peterson’s is the world’s leading educational services company dedicated to furthering education after high school and beyond. From culinary school to medical school—and everything in-between–Peterson’s helps you discover, prepare for, and fund your education.
Every year over 500,000 students use Peterson’s books, practice tests, and learning tools to ace their exams. We are also exceptionally proud to be the official test prep provider of the DSST which provides college credit by exam for our men and women in uniform across the globe.
Don’t take our word for it—listen to what our customers have to say about our products:
With digital and print prep guides for over 150 exams and tests, there’s nowhere you can’t go with Peterson’s by your side.
Trusted since 1966 by institutions far and wide.