A World-class School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
University at Buffalo’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is New York State's largest and most comprehensive public school of engineering. Master's and doctoral degrees are offered in all major fields of engineering, and we are continually developing new programs.
Ranked in the top 15 percent of the nations 300 engineering schools, we offer a wide variety of world-class instruction, research opportunities, resources, and facilities to its students.
Through many joint initiatives, students work on a wide range of topics including tsunami detection, bridge and infrastructure renewal, supply chain management, big data, and ways to improve health and wellness. We also offer all of our graduate students a unique cost free Certificate of Professional Development to assist in transitioning to their working careers for positions in industry and academia.
Centers of Research
UB has numerous centers for cutting edge research in the engineering fields.
- Blockchain ThinkLab
- Center for Multisource Information Fusion
- Center for Unified Biometrics
- Center of Excellence in Information Systems Assurance Research and Education (CEISARE)
- Computational and Data-enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE)
- Home Health and Well-Being through Adaptive Smart Environments
- Institute of Bridge Engineering
- The Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research
- NAVIGATE Project
- Stem Cells in Regenerative Medicine Program
- Stephen Still Center for Sustainable Transportation and Logistics
- Strategic Partnerships for Industrial Resurgence
- The Center for Industrial Effectiveness
- Transportation Informatics University Transportation Center
Admission and Financial Assistance
Please check departmental websites for Admission requirements. Students wishing to apply to the PhD program may do so directly as undergraduates or after completion of their MS degrees. Every application is considered for Scholarships, Fellowships and Assistantships. A separate application is not required.
The Largest Public Research University in the Northeast United States
UB is a premier public research university that values and pursues academic excellence. We attract exceptional students who are curious, engaged with their studies and determined to succeed while making a difference in the world.
Departments & Programs
Degrees & Awards
Entrance Exam GRE General Test
Minimum of 30 credits
Entrance Exam GRE General Test
Minimum of 72 credits
|Other Advanced Degrees||Minimum of 12 credits|
|Master's Degree Exam||GRE General Test|
|Master's Degree Requirements||Transcripts, curriculum vitae/resume, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation|
|Doctoral Degree Exam||GRE General Test|
|Doctoral Degree Requirements||Transcripts, curriculum vitae/resume, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation|
Tuition & Fees
|Types of financial support available||
Scholarship and/or loans
|Black or African American||1%|
|White or Caucasian||11%|
|American Indian or Alaska Native||Not Reported|
|Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander||Not Reported|
|Two or more races||1%|
|Focus of faculty research:||Not reported|
|Externally sponsored research expenditures last year:||74,000,000|